Thursday, March 7, 2013

MY NEW BLOG! read me

Hello World.

I decided to write this blog because I like writing, because I outgrew my last blog, and because I can't believe there are so few of us (single-parent homeschoolers)!  Well I actually can believe it cause its true, but I want there to be more of us! I can't believe we live in a world that is so wacky that being unhitched, a parent AND the facilitator of your child's academic, physical and emotional education is so absolutely freakin' ludicrous.  This is especially true for non-religious folks like myself. The majority of single-parent homeschoolers have church support.

I wrote this because I wanted to encourage people to be bold, like I am trying to be.  Yes, it is hard, but it can be done and you can be happy doing it. And it would be nice if there were more crazy parents like me, cause I am sort of lonely.  So I hope to recruit more of you, in Sonoma County and beyond.  The more of us there are the easier it will be.  I have been a single mother since the birth of my child.

I wrote this to share my experience with others as well. I hope for this blog to be useful not only to single-homeschoolers, but all sorts of people. Especially people looking to live a down-to-earth, integrated, family and community centered life.  Many of the issues that come up for me as a single parent homeschooler are also issues of two-parent homeschooling families, single-parent families that use schools, and just people who like to learn together.

So, this is the first post of my new blog, though I have imported some of the posts from my last blog, the more useful ones. Those are the 2011/2012 posts.

BTW the reason "homeschool" is in quotation marks is cause schooling at home doesn't happen a whole hell of a lot. Also, by some standards, I am in fact not homeschooling. We could be considered taking "Independent Study." Ramona goes to a independent study charter school that holds optional classes between the hours of 9:30 and 1:30 twice a week. My daughter is in one of those classes right now as I type this.  I am so grateful I have this option close to me though it is not my ideal.  I would rather that I could offer the group learning situations though my community. I have received absolutely no help from my child's father to raise her, or from anyone else, so I need the help from Public Ed. But even if this "school" wasn't an option, I would have still started "homeschooling" or for a better term, "free ranging." There are so many resources out there, we need to use them, and keep demanding and creating more.

The day that it isn't such a rare bird that the concepts of single-parent and homeschool can hang together, will be a great day in an evolved society.

No comments:

Post a Comment