Saturday, March 30, 2013

Dying Easter Eggs

Our first venture into natural dying with Easter Eggs seemed a simple way to get introduced to the world of natural dying.  (natural dying...noooooo..IM NOT READY!) Anyhow, didn't come out quite as we hoped. We learned a lot though, and I don't say that in a sad sort of way; we had a good time and really did learn a lot.  And hell, that's what we are here for. Why waste your time learning beforehand when you can learn during the process?  That's how we fly.  (I wonder if that is why it takes like 25 years for us to finish our projects???)

There are a ton of articles about dying Easter eggs naturally. And since I am not an avid product buyer, I decided to use what was around the house and in abundance mostly.  I tried some cranberry cocktail and grape juice, with some vinegar (they said it would work).  They say 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar per liter of water when boiling ingredients, so I just added vinegar to the juice.  I wonder if boiling would have made a difference.  When the cranberry juice looked to be failing at its job, I added a bit of red wine.  The juice dyes both came out grayish-lavender and grayish-purplish shades, perhaps leaning more towards gray.  Luckily we decided to decorate the eggs with crayon first to make them a bit more festive and interesting.  However, we were hungry when we were dying, so by the time we finished dying there were only 8 of the dozen left.

For green we debated grass or spinach.  Grass is abundant so we ran outside with our scissors and a basket.  For yellow I boiled the skins of oranges and lemons.  Finally for blue I boiled red cabbage.  The red cabbage dye came out the fastest, and we even ate the shell pink cabbage (now that all the blue had been boiled out).  It's interesting, cause when I have clothing made of natural dyes, blue is always the first to fade. Blue is so transmutable. The red cabbage blue was by far the most vibrant color. I boiled it for about 15 minutes in the water and vinegar mix and then let it cool.

The orange peels on the other hand boiled for more than an hour and didn't dye at all.  The grass boiled the same time and after soaking ALL night, turned the egg a greenish, orangish yellow.

Next year I will go with beets for pink, those things work.  When I was a kid, working in the blueberry fields at a neighboring farm, I would come home each day and eat two Ramens for lunch.  I always threw in a little slice of beet, so I could have pink Ramon.  Beets are the king of pink.  I have heard red onion skins are great for vibrant color as well.  I think I might try blueberries for purple, since they stain.  Turmeric for yellow....cause it stains too.  Maybe spinach for green.

I also want to try boiling the eggs in the pot with the dye ingredients.  I guess the drawback to that is that any crayon drawn on would be melted off.  Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment