Friday, December 16, 2011

The last day of my life.

Five years ago today, being fed up with my pitiful fat waddle and baby-induced sciatica going down my right buttock and leg, I became determined. I had been pregnant for 41 weeks and a day, and was very uncomfortable with even the word "induction." I decided it was time to take action. After eating pineapple for lunch, I boiled up a big pot of Raspberry Leaf tea and began to sip it. As the afternoon progressed, I started popping evening primrose oil capsules, rubbing my nipples, and massaging my hoku spot (among other things). I was beginning to feel a little peculiar. So I headed to the local Mexican place and ate the spiciest food I could get a hold of, and then took a long walk around lake Merritt. There on a bench behind Fairy Land it happened. My 9.6 pound baby's body and mine began to move in unison.

That was just the beginning.

I mused as I walked to my quiet empty home that every time I stopped to catch my balance during contractions, that all these people around me had no idea I was in labor. I remember looking people in their eyes thinking "Can you tell I am having a baby?" smiling, which may have at times looked like a grimace.

No comments:

Post a Comment